Wednesday 20 July 2011

Methi malai matar -Punjabi hotel style recipe


Methi malai matar is a rich shahi punjabi dish. I tasted this dish only after my marriage as this is liked by my husband ..It tastes amazing, not bitter at all, and goes perfectly well with rice or parathas.He kept on pestering me to prepare this dish at home  I kept on postponing it until last weekend finally I tried to make it & the end result was amazing..

"Methi" or Fenugreek is a wonderful green leafy vegetable full of antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. It helps cleanse your system, improve your eyesight and increase resistance and immunity level of your body against toxins. And though it is packed with nutrients, there's only one thing which could possibly draw you away from it, and that is it's slightly-bitter taste.

 I myself had tantrums about eating Methi  bhaji when I was in my teens, until I discovered the world of methi parathas,, Methi-Malai-Matar Gravy.Now I HAVE BECOME A FAN OF METHI .So here's sharing with you another healthy and tasty recipe!!
 

  

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Boiled Green Peas.
     
  • ½ cup Cream or Malai.
     
  • 1 bunch Methi (fenugreek) leaves.
     
  • 3 tbsp. ghee or butter.
     
  • Salt to taste.
     
  • ½ tsp. Cumin seeds.
     
  • 1 pinch asafoetida.
     
Powder together:
  • 1 cardamom.
     
  • 2 to 3 cloves.
     
  • 1/2" stick cinnamon.
Grind to a paste:
  • 1 onion.
     
  • 1 tbsp. khaskhas (poppy seeds)
     
  • 11/2 tbsp. Cashew nuts.
     
  • 1 tbsp. Curd.
     
  • 1 tsp. Sugar.
     
  • 2 to 3 green chilies.
     
  • 1/2" ginger.

Method
  1. Finely chop methi leaves & immerse them in salted hot water for 5 minutes.
  2. Drain and wash well in a strainer under running water.
  3. Press out well to remove as much water as possible.
  4. Keep aside.
  5. Beat malai till smooth.
  6. Keep aside.
  7. Heat ghee in a pan & add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
  8. Add grinded paste and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
  9. Add powdered spices. Stir, and add peas, methi leaves and malai.
  10. Add all other ingredients.
  11. Boil till gravy thickens.
  12. If gravy feels too watery sprinkle a dash of flour and stir.
  13. If too thick, add a few tbsp. of milk.
  14. Serve piping hot with parathas, rotis, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment