Sunday 20 May 2012

Vanga(Vangi)batata rassa bhaji|Eggplant potato (aloo baingan)sabji

This is a delicious dish my mom used to make. I just happened to make it the other day and thought I'd share.This one is one of my mom's best recipes which  my friends love. She had to give me 2 tiffin boxes in college whenever she made it. I had made it when some friends visited me last year and they loved it too! So I just thought of posting it here...
 




Ingredients:

2 potatoes (cubed),
1 big eggplant (cubed),
 2 tbsp. goda masala/black maharashtrian masala,
 pinch of asafoetida,
 4-5 tbsp oil,
pinch of mustard and cumin seeds,
¼ tbsp turmeric powder,
1 tbsp chili powder,
curry leaves,
 1-2 dried  kokam halves /tamarind pulp
 2 tbsp jaggery
 2 tbsp peanut powder(shengdana koot)(pls click here for how to make roasted peanut powder at home)
coriander leaves and fresh grated coconut for garnishing
 1 ½ cups water.

Method
1.Heat oil in a kadhai /wok.
2.Add mustard, cumin, followed by asafoetida and curry leaves.
3.Add turmeric powder and cubed potato.
4. Cover them up until they become partially tender.
5.Now add cubed eggplant and water, bring it to boil.
6.Now add goda masala, chili powder, jaggery, tamarind ,salt, peanut powder.
7.Simmer and Cover it up until curry thickens and pieces turns soft and tender.
8.Garnish with coriander and fresh coconut.
9.Serve with chapati or plain rice.



Tips
1.Always cut egg plants in the end & keep in water  since they turn black quickly when in contact with air.
2.Add jaggery after eggplants & potato are cooked .
3.Do not stir the vegetables too often else they  will break

No comments:

Post a Comment